Exotic Vets for small animals, Reptiles, Birds and other Furry Pets
Locating the appropriate expertise for your exotic pet can pose a challenge. However, at Leadon Vale Veterinary Centre, we possess the qualifications and experience needed to provide optimal care for these unique animals, ranging from the tiniest mammal to the largest snake!
Recognising the significance of a tranquil setting for numerous exotic species, our team has designed our facilities with careful consideration. We provide specialised accommodations for aquatic and semi-aquatic patients, complete with heat and light-controlled tanks for amphibians and reptiles. Moreover, we've established separate wards for birds and small animals, strategically positioned away from the potential noise generated by our canine patients.
Our Facilities for Exotics include:
- Sevoflurane anaesthesia
- Ventilator (essential for exotic anaesthesia)
- Specialised surgical equipment for tortoise
- Comprehensive array of rodent dentistry tools, featuring a high-speed diamond burr
- Specific surgical instruments tailored for exotic species
- Cutting-edge digital radiography
- Ultrasound services
- Access to a specialised exotics laboratory
- Rigid endoscopy
- Provision of live foods
- In-house blood, urine, and faecal testing
Preventative Care for Your Exotic Companion
- Ferret vasectomies
- Pre and post-hibernation checks for tortoises
- Dietary and husbandry advice
- Blood testing for general health and infectious disease screening (e.g., PBFD in birds)
- Post-purchase check-ups
- Annual health assessments
- Faecal testing
Regrettably, even with the owner's best intentions, our experience indicates that up to 95% of diseases in exotic pets result from improper husbandry.
To address this concern, Leadon Vale Veterinary Centre is delighted to provide complimentary post-consultation appointments with our exotic's nurse. Whether you seek guidance on the proper diet for your cherished macaw, ways to enrich the environment for your red-eared terrapin, or ensure suitable housing for your chameleon, we are here to assist you.
Exotic Pets commonly include:
- Birds (birds of prey, parrots, psittacine, cockatiels)
- Reptiles (tortoises, terrapins, snakes, lizards)
- Mammals (ferrets and other mustelids, rodents, marsupials)
- Amphibians (frogs, newts)
- Arthropods (spiders, snails)