Here at Leadon Vale Veterinary Centre, we have 2 Official Veterinarians who can authorise Pet Passports for your pet. A pet passport allows you to enter or return to the UK with your dog, cat or ferret.
To enter and return to the United Kingdom, the following are required:
- Your pet must be microchipped
- Have a pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate
- Has been vaccinated against rabies. The single vaccination should be administered at least 21 days before you travel. If you are travelling to an unlisted country, your pet will also need a blood test.
- It is likely that for travel to Europe after 31st December a blood test will be needed to be taken 30 days after the rabies vaccination
- Before you re-enter the United Kingdom, your pet must see a vet for worming treatment. This should be done between 24 – 120 hours before you re-enter the UK. Your pet's passport will be stamped at the time of administration.
- You also need to consider protection against tick-borne disease and heartworm depending on which country you are travelling too – Please discuss this with the Vet.
Please note we anticipate that these requirements will change due to Brexit and additional paperwork may be required.
The latest and current guidelines can be found on the Government website. https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad
For more information, please contact our friendly team.